Oh my goodness, let me tell you: it has been so difficult choosing a name for my new puppy! I’m a huge fan of word games and puns, I find them so incredibly interesting and mentally stimulating! My sweet kitty’s name is William ShakesPurr (PurrPurr for short) and I just know the chances are high that puppy’s name will end up being chosen from a long list of dog puns as well.
I have been brainstorming tons of pun puppy names and so I thought I’d share them with you here, in case any of my lovely readers are looking to grow their furry, four-legged families!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase any of my recommended products, I will earn a small commission at no extra charge to you. Purchasing through my page ensures that I am able to keep writing useful content for all of you. And don’t worry, I only post affiliate links to products and services I personally love and use myself!
Table of Contents
List of Dog Puns based on Mythical Creatures
Because who doesn’t enjoy a little bit of whimsy and magic when it comes to their furry loved ones?
- Loch Ness Slobster
List of Dog Puns based on Star Wars
I’m not a fan personally… much to my boyfriend’s dismay!
- Obi Wag Kenobi
- Luke Skybarker
- Slobber the Hutt
- C3 Pee-O
List of Dog Puns based on Lord of the Rings
Oldie but a goodie.
- Milkbone Baggins
- Bilbone Baggins
List of Dog Puns based on Musicals
Because there is nothing fancier than naming your puppy after an obscure character from a musical.
- Sweeny Pawed (Sweeny Todd)
- Benjamin Barker (Sweeny Todd)
- Phantom of the Pawpera (Phantom of the Opera)
- Phantom of the Pup-era (Phantom of the Opera)
List of Dog Puns based on Foods
Because if you know anything about me… this girl loves to EAT!
- Fetch-accine Ball-fredo (Fettuccine Alfredo)
- Pupperoni (Pepperoni)
- Pawpperoni (Pepperoni)
- S-paw-ghetti (Spaghetti)
- S-paw-moni (Spumoni)
List of Dog Puns based on TV Shows and Movies
So I may be about to out myself as a total geek but here goes nothing!
- Zug-zwag (for the Criminal Minds fans out there)
- Agent Pawssi (for the Criminal Minds fans out there)
- Anna-leash Keating (for the HTGAWM fans)
- The Doggter (for the Doctor Who fans)
- Houndton Abbey (Downton Abbey)
- Tyribone Lannister (Game of Thrones)
- Sansa Bark (Game of Thrones)
- Mary Puppins (Mary Poppins)
- Peeta Mebark (The Hunger Games)
- Primnose Everdeen (The Hunger Games)
Dog Puns List based on Harry Potter
- Hairy Pawter
- Ron Fleasly
- Grrr-mione Granger
- Doggy the House Elf
- Sirius Bark
- Sorcerer’s Bone
- Half-mutt Prince
- Deathly Howlows
- Alpups Dumbledore
- Tom Kibble
- Godric Gryffindog
- Helga Hufflepup
- Rowena Ravenpaw
- Salazar Snifferin
List of Dog Puns based on Famous People
These may not have the longest shelf life, but they’re still fun as hell.
- Charles Lickens (Charles Dickens, writer)
- Isaac Chewton (Isaac Newton, scientist)
- Mary, Queen of Walks (Queen Mary, of Scotland)
- Mary, Queen of Spots (Queen Mary, of Scotland)
- Queen Eleashabeth (Queen Elizabeth, of England)
- Richard Wag-ner (Richard Wagner, composer)
- J.K. Growling (J.K. Rowling, writer)
- J.K. Howling (J.K. Rowling, writer)
- Bark Obama (Barack Obama, US President)
- Pawtrick Stewart (Patrick Stewart, actor)
- Rosa Barks (Rosa Parks, civil rights activist)
- Ruth Bader Ginsbark (Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Justice of the Supreme Court)
- Anderson Pooper (Anderson Cooper, journalist)
- Andy Warhowl (artist)
- Bark Wahlberg (actor)
- Catherine Zeta-Bones (actor)
- Woofgang Amadeus Mozart (composer)
- Elvis Barksley (singer)
Hot Dog Puns List for Dachshunds
And a whole separate category just because I’m now a dachshund puppy mom!
- Sweenie Pawed (Sweeny Todd)
- Weenie the Pooh (Winnie the Pooh)
- Oscar Meyer Weenie (Oscar Meyer Weiner)
I love pun-based pet names and I can’t wait to let you all know what name we choose for our new doxie pup!
What other pun-based dog names should I add to the list?
What about a hot dog puns list?
Should I post a list of pun names for kitties as well?
Let me know below!
StephanieCristi’s Top Recommended Puppy Products:
- on-the-go collapsible food and water bowls
- heavy-duty carrier
- ID tag
- retractable leash
- peepee pads for indoor accidents
With all my love,
3 thoughts on “Dog Puns To Match Your Pup’s Personality”
Hi there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my phone and it’s so easy to read, even on the small screen! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the superb work!
I’m so glad you find my blog phone-friendly 🙂
I’m glad you’re enjoying the content. Keep checking back (or better yet – subscribe!) for new stuff every week 🙂