How to Lessen the Stress of Moving Cross-Country

Moving across the country can be hugely exciting and eventually rewarding – trust me! I’ve done it twice and helped my now-husband do it once! However, it’s not as if it’s an entirely positive experience from beginning to end. There are some aspects of moving that can induce stress. While a little bit of stress can be useful for moving forward, if it’s allowed to develop into something bigger, then it can compromise the whole enjoyment of the move. 

Fortunately, you’re not the first person who has decided to move across the country; plenty of people have done it before you! And they’ve come up with some pretty effective methods for reducing move-induced stress, as we’ll see below.

Know Your New Home

You’ll feel much better about everything if you have a solid sense of where you’re moving to. While it can be exciting to pack up your belongings and move elsewhere when you’re younger, at some stage, it becomes more stressful than anything else. So don’t let mystery be the defining descriptive word for your new home. Do your research! The internet will tell you 90% of what you need to know; you can get the remaining 10% by visiting the place before you decide to move. 

 

Logistical Support

There are some things that you shouldn’t do on your own because they’re too complicated. Moving house is stressful even when you’re moving to a house on the same street; it’s only amplified when you’re moving to a new state. There are professional companies that can help with all aspects of the move. They can help with transporting your belongings, moving your pet, moving your vehicle, and just about everything else related to the move. They have experience in doing these things; you do not! Put the duties in their hands, and you’ll find that move-related stress is greatly reduced. 

 

Find a Place to Stay

If you want to combat the stress of moving to a new state, then you’ll need to think about what the most stressful aspects will be. And finding a place that you like, in a good neighborhood, will be right up there, especially if you’re moving to a place where it’s famously difficult to find accommodation. So give yourself time to find your spot. You’ll find that you feel much more relaxed about the move if you’ve got a place to stay for the first month or so; it might not be the perfect place, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s only there to give you the time to find the perfect place. 

 

Ups and Downs 

Finally, you’ll be doing yourself a big favor by remembering that the move will have ups and downs. You’ll only feel the down moments more severely if you were not expecting them. If you go into the process knowing that it’ll be a rough ride for a few months, then you’ll have the patience you need to ride things out. At some point in the future, when you feel all at home in your new state, you’ll wonder what all the stress was about!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2 Shares
Tweet2
Flip
Share
Reddit
Pocket
Share
Buffer
Pin
Share
Share